For anyone who wants to play Blackjack for profit rather than just recreational, then learning and using a basic strategy is pretty much essential. This should form the basis of your play and is the single biggest advantage a player can give themselves to win. There are a variety of basic strategies although most of them are very similar, they variances to the strategy are basically referring to the different rules, number of decks and playing style that you wish to adopt.
The following rules comprise the important facets of a Basic Blackjack strategy based on a 4 card deck (the most popular). It can be adapted when required but you shouldn’t move far from these basics.
Standing and Hitting (Hard Hands)
- Always Hit on 12 through 16 when the dealer has 7 or higher.
- Always Stand when you have 17 or higher
- Stand on 12 to 16 when the dealer has 6 or lower
- Hit on 12 when dealer has 2 or 3
Standing and Hitting (Soft Hands)
- Stand on soft 19 or more.
- Hit soft 17 or less
- Stand on soft 18 vs dealer 8 or lower
- Hit on Soft 18 vs dealer 9,10 or Ace
These comprise all the basic hitting and standing techniques, if you only play by these simple rules you will have cut the casino advantage by half. When you have memorized them, watch how few players use even these basic knowledge. Remember these are the correct plays in each situation and are the mathematical best plays to make in each situation.